Monday 1 June 2015

DONE

The last time I saw _Be Good Tanyas_ at the Ottawa Jazz Festival, Frazey Ford seemed frazzled. In the patter between songs, one guessed that she was the jam in a PBJ sandwich that was disintegrating slowly but surely. (As I said on Twitter, I thought then: run, Frazey, run!!!)

The performance started late, there was an oblique reference to one of the band members who had "forgotten" their instrument in the last city where they played.

Now she's on her own.  In beauty and joy.


"And I'm sorry that you don't like your life  
But I fought for my own victories  
And for the beauty in my life  
And my joy, my joy, my joy takes nothing from you  
No my joy, my joy takes nothing from you..."

That certainly resonated with me.

Who hasn't been there? 

Such a relief to be well rid of anyone who finds satisfaction in stirring pots of old grievances that are kept simmering for *good* measure...

Though the BGT days of performing _The Littlest Bird_ are long gone, other bands do honour to that song.



Rock Paper Scissors finds the bittersweet joy and sorrow in its words.

No comments:

Post a Comment